Where we live West Nile Virus is a real problem (Thanks Plum Island!). If you want to be outside then you have to worry about being bitten by Mosquitoes! Since we like to enjoy the outdoors we found this affordable Mosquito trap to defend ourselves.
This homemade trap helps keep you, your family and friends safer (there are no guarantees) this summer.
HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP
What you needed:
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 gram of yeast
- 1 2-liter bottle
- Cut the plastic bottle in half.
- Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
- Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
- Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
- Wrap the bottle with something black (we just spray paint the outside black), leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)
Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.
Good Luck and Stay Safe